Monday 14 July 2014

What's in the garden this week?


 Now that I've got my identification book there's nothing to stop me getting out and doing some identifying and there's nowhere easier to get to than my back garden (there's sadly no butterflies in the house). I saw a butterfly flitting around next to my trellis that my blackberries are growing up and snapped it in flight from distance. Not a great photo but it allowed me to ID it as a small tortoiseshell. If anyone knows why thy are called tortoiseshells please let me know.


Next up was a Comma sitting on a nettle. Luckily it was happy to pose for me. Luckily not keeping on top of the weeding kept this little fellow happy. Took me a while to figure out what it was in the book, i thought it was one of the fritillarys.















Finally I thought I would put up a typical photo of the most common species in the garden, the lesser focused butterfly. Auto-focus seems to prefer the stationary plants to the quick moving critters. I could still make it out as being a Ringlet though for the distinctive rings on the underside of its wings. Any tips welcomed please for photographs.

Not bad evening though three species just outside my back door!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write a comment.