Friday 11 July 2014

An idea forms

Being a new dad my priorities have shifted somewhat and hobbies that I used to pursue perhaps take up a bit too much time. Activities that involve the boy are a bit more important, or at least things i enjoy that I can drag him along to too. That being said I've been a member of the RSPB for a number of years but hadn't really been to many of their reserves, except for trips to Loch Garten when on holiday up in the Cairngorms, Link to Loch Garten live webcam. So the plan is to take the boy out on walks to nature reserves to see what there is to see.

Our first trip out was to the Warwickshire Wildlife Trusts Brandon Marsh Reserve . We had a fun afternoon going between the hides seeing what birds were out on the water and wrestling the pram between them. not being in the swing of visiting these sorts of places for a while I forgot to take both my camera and my binoculars, so there won't be many photos on this first blog post! however it was the books in the giftshop that sparked my interest.

Row upon row of the field guide to this or the British book of that. Dragonflies, spiders, bumblebees, birds, moths butterflies: lots of choice. I've picked butterflies and the plan is to see them all, well the British ones anyway.

If you've got any tips on good places to find them in Warwickshire then let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write a comment.