Sunday 13 July 2014

And so it begins (well slowly)

Weekend mornings involve me often pushing the pram round the streets of Leamington entertaining the boy with a song or a whistle or hoping that he just goes to sleep for an hour or so. On this morning the plan was to get the boy in the pram after being fed and take him into town in order that I could buy my wife's birthday present. On the way into town I can go through Newbold Comyn ( a large park with woodlands, open grassy areas, playing fields and the River Leam) seems as good a place as any. I loaded up the boy into the pram, grabbed my camera and set off.

My little one enjoys to spot things and often points out birds and planes as they go past. He especially likes pointing at pigeons in the fields behind our house. So I wasn't too surprised when he pointed into the air as we were about five minutes away from the house. What did surprise me was that he had spotted two World War 2 era planes heading off to a show somewhere. Well spotted from the boy, hopefully the bodes well for the rest of the day.

 After we make it into the park it's only a few moments before we catch sight of our first butterfly (see right). It's then that I realised just how tricky its going to be to get a photo of the butterflies while pushing a pram. I don't really want to leave the boy alone too far away from me in the park so i can only really chase after the butterflies short distances away. Luckily this one dropped into the grass and showed off it's wings. An easy identification for most people but I wasn't really sure if it was a Peacock, a Red Admiral or a Tortoiseshell. (I'm planning on working on this).
I took the path following the riverbank and saw quite a few butterflies just that bit too far away to take a picture, they are surprisingly fast and I'm struggling to get my camera to focus on them as they go by. (Any tips are very welcome please). I did however manage to get a picture of this little fellow on the left. But I have no idea what this is or even if it's actually a moth. I'd really appreciate if anyone can identify this for me.



In my efforts to find more butterflies I took a few paths that I've not been down before in the park. It was great to find a few more places, there was a lovely arch in a tree to walk through and a few quiet spots for the local anglers. I do a bit of running every now and again and I'll hopefully be able to run through here again soon. I didn't manage to take any more pictures but did see a few white butterflies in the grassy areas. A fairly pleasant morning, started well with the planes but I didn't really know what sort of planes they were (Hurricanes?) and neither did I know my butterflies.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write a comment.