Sunday 13 July 2014

Looky look I got a book - Butterfly books

After my previous attempt at spotting butterflies, which was pretty enjoyable, my mind turned back to the books that I had saw in the Brandon Marsh bookshop. If I was going to find butterflies I had better learn something about them, or I'd (a) never find them and (b) never know what it was I had found. I also got a little bit excited and thought that I could write a book about my experiences finding the butterflies. I'd been inspired by books like Can't Swim, Can't Bike, Can't run and thought it might make for an interesting topic. Luckily me writing habits didn't have to get exposed (as lacking) as a bit of searching the web showed that someone had already written about finding all of the British butterflies in one summer: www.amazon.co.uk/Butterfly-Isles-Patrick-Barkham

So with one search of the web for books complete I started another for a book to help me identify and find the butterflies. There were quite a few available but one line in a review from a chap called Mathor caught my eye:
This book by Jeremy Thomas is an updated version of the one frequently referred to by the writer/journalist Patrick Barkham in his recent book "The Butterfly Isles"
This was a comment for the most recent edition of the Philips Guide to Butterflies of Britain & Ireland. If it was good enough to help out the guy who wrote the book (which I'll have to get round to buying sometime) then it will be good enough for me.

Once more Amazon cleverly extracted a few more quid from my bank account as if I spent three pound and two pence more then i would get free postage. Animal Music was purchased for the boy.
 

I'm pretty pleased with the book (as I've received it and used it). I'll hopefully now be able to identify the butterflies that I find. I have been out again but that's for the next blog update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write a comment.