Saturday 4 April 2015

Muslin Moth

After the previous evening’s dismal (and typical) moth trap catch of nil I had reasonably low hopes for last night’s haul (night of 3rd April). Luckily whilst the glass was half empty the moth trap was half full (well not quite but far from empty). After the Early Grey’s appearance the previous weekend another three of them turned up, a Chestnut appeared too and more interestingly, and a new species for me, the Muslin Moth.

My identification book reckoned that this should be around in May-June, but it also described it as being unmistakeable. I’d agree that it is pretty distinctive and checked to a book about Warwickshire moths and sometimes they do pop up earlier in the year, sometimes even late March.

Let me know if you think it’s something else!

Muslin 03042015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write a comment.